What Do I Do If I’m Involved in a Car Accident And the Other Driver Leaves the Scene of the Accident?

Millions of car accidents take place every year, and they can be extremely frustrating and jarring experiences. There are situations where a car accident can change your entire life. So what do you do if you are in Philadelphia or one of the adjacent counties, i.e., Bucks, Chester, Delaware or Montgomery County, and you notice that the other driver has decided to leave the scene of the accident?

This is illegal, but it still takes place more often than you might think in the greater Philadelphia area, to include Montgomery and Bucks counties and many other counties throughout the United States. First and foremost, it is important to remain calm and make sure that every passenger in your car is safe. Once you have established this fact, it is then time to document everything that you can. Are there any injuries? Who was injured and how severe are the injuries?

The next step is simple: start trying to document as much information as possible. For example, try to remember the license plate of the car that drove away. You should also write down any relevant information while it is still fresh in your mind, such as the color, make, and model of the vehicle. Some cars may have more defining characteristics to note, such as tinted windows, bumper stickers, or custom rims. If you remember any other information that could help identify the driver, write it down or document it in some way as soon as possible.

After this step, you should contact the authorities (whether it is Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery or Philadelphia County, the best thing to do is dial 911 and explain the situation.) Police officers may still be able to locate the fleeing party. Although that is not a guarantee, any information that you provide the police will be extremely helpful in that regard. A police report will prove useful later when you consult with your car accident attorney and also when you are filing a claim. Remember that your insurance company requires a report from a proper authority within 30 days from the date of the accident in order for you to be able to collect for any injuries under the uninsured portion of your insurance policy.  Your personal injury attorney will be able to advise you on all of the potential options to receive a payment as a result of your MVA.  It’s important to remember to remain calm and cooperate with police.

Lastly, you should speak to all potential witnesses so that your side of the story can be verified. At this point, you should consult with a car accident attorney as soon as possible to review your options.